Monday

Fergus County Fair

Since I was a little girl the highlight of the summer has always been the Fergus County Fair. When I was younger I looked forward to the riding the rides with my aunt and cousins and as I grew older I began to lose interest in the rides and instead looked forward to the night show, rodeo, and socializing with friends. This year’s fair was different than any I had ever attended. This year I was Miss Montana!

I started out the fair week by attending the night show. I was first introduced to the comedian act Willams and Ree. They were both very nice and extremely funny. It was fun getting to meet them and then sit and the stands and roll with laughter during their performance. Before intermission I had to head back to meet the next act, but they noticed my exit and pointed me out during the middle of their performance. We had visited about my past jobs, including firefighting, so as I was leaving they yelled, “Hey there’s Miss Montana, she’s headed out to burn out the Californians.” I was rather embarrassed but pleased that they had remembered who I was! I then went out for intermission and was given the chance to meet the Bellamy Brothers.

Thursday was “Lewistown Days” so there was a parade down Main Street. Earlier I had been out at the fairgrounds to watch my cousins receive blue ribbons for their showmanship with their pigs. I then headed back into town to help the Boys and Girls Club decorate their float. We did a summer fun theme with sports equipment and a baby pool on the float. I rode with them for the parade as they threw out water balloons and sprayed squirt guns all down the street. Needless to say, I ended up a little wet by the end of the parade!

Thursday and Friday I signed autographs at the Snowy Mountain Development booth and then helped greet and hand out programs at the rodeo. It was a great chance to visit with people I had not seen in a long time!

Then Saturday morning I had the fun chance to be in the Pie Eating contest to raise money for 4-H! The 4-H leaders had been a little worried if I would actually want to participate, but I was ready to try out my first Pie Eating contest! Unfortunately I did not win, but I must say that I held my own!

After the Pie Eating contest I hurried over to the free stage where I performed my talent. The Dance Syndicate was also performing. The Dance Syndicate is where I grew up dancing so I was excited to see some of their new dances and my instructor, Janet. My little sister is now a member of the Performing Arts Team so I was very excited to get the chance to see her perform. She did an amazing job, I am so impressed with how far her dance skills have come!

It was a busy week at the fair, but also a week full of friends, family, and fun!

No comments: