Wednesday

Portland & Vancouver Trip: August 21-23

After driving home from the Hope Project at the Yellowstone Club in the Gallatin Canyon, I caught an early flight out of Lewistown and met up with my director Avice for a trip to Portland. We were picked up at the airport by Lois Elaine, who had served on our judges panel. We then had lunch on the river with the famous, Uncle Ed, a man as delightful as his lovely wife. We had a wonderful lunch at Beaches where the cuisine and service were amazing! There was a “Welcome Miss Montana” sign at the entrance! Uncle Ed requested that a crown be placed on my head. Beaches has a lovely view of the river and we watched barges and boats go by as we dined at their special table.
After lunch we drove to the Pendleton store at the mill in Washougal, Washington. I tried on some very beautiful clothes. I now have a several sweaters, walking trousers, and a great vest; I feel much more prepared for fall’s cooler weather! Lois Elaine and Susan at Pendleton were amazingly generous in sponsoring a black wool dress coat for me. It is so beautiful and lady-like; I am so excited to wear it with the gorgeous scarf! It will be so nice to have while I am traveling across Montana in the cold winter months and for many years ahead. I feel like Audrey Hepburn in it.
After a tour and meeting with the dean at the International Air and Hospitality Academy in Vancouver, we rode in a taxi to our hotel in downtown Portland. Later that evening we met with Cami who was doing business in Portland and the three of us took the MAX to Beaverton Creek where Avice's sister, Joan, met us and treated us to dinner at the Red Lobster.
After a workout in the hotel workout center, Joan picked Avice and me up at the hotel for our drive to Gresham. I tried on many lovely evening gowns at Dee’s Studio Ltd with the gracious help of Suzie. There were some very beautiful gowns there. I felt like I was a little girl playing dress up while I tried on one beautiful gown after another! Lois Elaine showed her big heart by offering to buy me a beautiful gown. She has been so incredibly kind to me and I am eternally grateful for her support!
After lunch at a cute bistro across the street from Dee's, we drove to Nordstroms in Washington Square at Tigard were I had a makeup consultation with MAC makeup. My makeup artist, Ashley, did wonders! I felt so beautiful after she had finished my makeup. Upstairs in the couture department, I tried on several St. John ensembles. We then went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. It was my first time eating at one, and I thoroughly enjoyed every bite!
The next morning after a run and a cup of coffee from Starbucks, we visited the downtown Portland Nordstroms and window shopped at St. John, Banana Republic, and other boutiques. We then took the MAX line to the airport and to board our Big Sky Airlines flight homeward.
We flew over many acres of forest and grass fires burning in Montana and Idaho. The airports were busy with crews from other states helping to extinguish these fires. Seeing them brought back memories of my past two summers as a BLM fire fighter.
I immensely enjoyed my trip to Portland. Portland is such a beautiful city and full of exciting things. I was also so amazed by the kind people that I have been meeting. The generosity and support that I have encountered in people, like Lois Elaine, makes me feel so blessed. I am such a lucky girl!

No comments: