Sunday

The Crowning Moment...June 16


On Saturday night June 16th, my hopes and dreams became a reality. It was the final night of the Miss Montana competition. They had announced Top Ten and we went on to compete in talent, lifestyle and fitness, and evening gown. I performed my talent the best that I had ever done. My dad had given me a pep talk telling me to “remember how hard you’ve worked for this, leave it all on stage with no regrets.” I took his advice and left my best out on the stage.
After we competed in those categories the top five were announced. We were then left on stage to draw a judge’s name who then asked us a question. It was a very intimidating experience! After we all answered questions we were ushered off stage to anxiously await the outcome.

Finally the time had come. The five of us stood at the front of the stage holding hands. Then there was a final song! The song was beautiful and standing there waiting built up the anticipation in the whole auditorium. Finally it was time to announce the placing.
Slowly our group got smaller until I found myself holding hands with Kari Rude. We both looked at each other and it was easy to tell the nerves and anxiety that each of us held! Finally the time had come and the announcement that Kari was the first runner up came. I hugged Kari and then it hit me that I was the new Miss Montana.
All of the hard work, disappointments, and perseverance of the past three years culminated on that moment in time. This was not my first try for Miss Montana, but my third. I felt so overjoyed and stood in disbelief! Christie Hageman crowned me and had to whisper to me to stop shaking! It was so exciting to be crowned by my friend who only one year ago I had stood on that same stage with as her runner-up. It was then time to take my first walk as Miss Montana. I remember turning to the crowd and being shocked by how many people there were in the auditorium, on their feet! I walked to the judges and thanked them, and then walked to stage right towards the most important people in the world to me. There was my whole family standing on their feet looking as excited as I was. They had been my constant support in my past tries for Miss Montana and also my support as I gave everything I had for this year. I blew them a kiss and knew that this moment was one that we would all treasure for the rest of our lives.
I received a flurry of hugs and congratulations from my fellow constants. Visiting with them made me realize how lucky I was to have competed along side these amazing women. Anyone of them would have made an amazing Miss Montana, and I felt even more honored knowing that.

Many pictures were taken following the crowning. I don’t remember much about them or the reception afterwards, I was still in shock! That night it was very late when I returned to my host home. I thought for sure that I would be able to sleep because I was exhausted. But once I lay on my bed my mind started running. I was actually Miss Montana! The responsibility and honor of the position started setting in and I was unable to sleep. So I greeted my first day as Miss Montana a little sleepily, but still very excited and eager to begin the new adventure ahead of me!

No comments: